2019-20 School Year Kick-off Guide
Zug Campus Main Number: +41 41 768 29 00
High School Main Number: +41 41 768 29 50
School Starts Tuesday 20 August 2019
Primary and Middle School
Early Years 1 and 2 8:50 - 15:25
Primary and Middle School 8:50 - 15:30
classrooms open at 8:30
8:40 -16:00 pm
Start of School Checklist
Nurses’ Office and Health Information
Enter student(s) medical information on the ISZL Electronic Health Form by Tuesday 20 August and contact the Nurses to discuss any medical conditions. We cannot permit any student to attend Personal Development Week (PDW) trips until we have received a completed medical form. Click here for instructions for returning parents.
New ISZL families will receive registration details on Friday 16 August via email. If you have not received your information by Monday 19 August, please contact our Academic Systems Manager, Ric Perry: firstname.lastname@example.org
High School Nurse: +41 41 768 29 99
Sylvia Kreuzbauer RN, BCur. DKGS: email@example.com
Your Contact Information
Make sure that your contact information is updated in the event of an emergency. Click here for instructions.
Your Security ID Badge
All adults who visit our campuses (including parents and caretakers) are required to wear ISZL issued security ID badges. Temporary ID badges are issued in the Reception Office and permanent ID badges can be requested online. Click here for instructions.
Register for the Lunch Programme
Our lunch programme will begin on the first day of school.
Zug Campus: The lunch programme caters for all children from EY1 to Grade 8. Should you wish to enrol your family in the lunch programme, you will need to register online before school begins to receive lunch on the first day. Click here to register.
High School: Please review this document that contains information about our food services and lunch programme, prices, and how to register.
Register for Bus Service (Zug Campus Only)
ISZL offers bus service for the Zug Campus. Registrations received by Tuesday 21 August may be able to start service as soon as Monday 26 August. Click here for more information.
In order to cater to the social needs and interests of our community, the school runs an extensive Clubs and Sports programme. Activities range from competitive sports to the arts, newspapers and recreational pursuits. Learn more about the programme.
Registration for these activities opens on Monday 19 August. Parents in the Primary and Middle School and students in the High School can register online via the Clubs and Sports platform CHQ (login required). New ISZL families and Grade 9 Students will receive registration details on Friday 16 August via email.
If you have technical issues or have not received an email by the end of Friday 16 August, please contact Academic Systems Manager, Ric Perry: firstname.lastname@example.org.If you have questions regarding the activities themselves, please contact the following:
- Primary School Division Assistant Principal: David.Secomb@iszl.ch
- Middle School Division Assistant Principal: Pete.LaFrance@iszl.ch
- High School Division Assistant Principal: Louisa.Radford@iszl.ch
- Athletics Director: Hans.Engl@iszl.ch
Private Musical Lessons
The ISZL Music School is an afterschool service providing individual lessons on a range of musical instruments. Each year, over 100 students from Grades 1 to 12 enrol in our programme, and benefit from learning to improve their skills on their chosen instrument, with guidance from one of our talented and well-qualified specialists. Lessons are due to start on or after Monday 26 August. Click here for more information and to register.
First Language Programme
ISZL offers an extensive and popular afterschool first language (mother-tongue) programme for students at ISZL. If you are interested in your child participating in afterschool language classes this school year, please click here for more information.
New Family Orientation for the High School
Friday 16 August, 9:30-11:45, High School Theatre
New Family Orientation for the Primary and Middle Schools
Monday 21 August, 9:00-11:00, Zug Campus Baarburg Theatre
Back to School Night for EY1, EY2 and Grade 5
Thursday 22 August, 19:00-20:30
Sausage Sizzle for the Zug Campus
Friday 23 August, 15:30-18:00
Back to School Night for Kindergarten, Grades 1 and 2
Monday 26 August, 19:00-20:30
Back to School Night for the Middle School
Tuesday 27 August, 18:30-20:30
Back to School Night for Grades 3 and 4
Thursday 29 August,19:00-20:30
Back to School Night and Barbecue for the High School
Wednesday 4 September, 18:00-20:00
Parents’ Association Welcome Fair
Wednesday 11 September, 9:00-11:00, Zug Campus Baarburg Theatre
For further information on these events, please view the school calendar on ISZL’s Parent Portal.
Staying Informed at ISZL
There are numerous ways that ISZL communicates to parents:
- Schoology: Schoology (login required) serves as the school’s primary learning management system. It is a secure environment that allows students and parents to view learning materials and communications shared by teachers as well as due dates for assignments and home learning details. In Primary School, teachers connect with parents through weekly updates. Schoology is also used to connect parents through grade level and community parent groups. Schoology and Parent Portal Workshops will be held the first week of school. Please read below for further information.
- Email: You will receive the ISZL Bulletin, letters from the Director and Principals, teacher messages, Schoology notices, student reports, and other information via the email account you entered during the admissions process or updated via ISZL’s Parent Portal. Click here for instructions on how to update your contact information.
- Calendar: ISZL has a centralised online calendar with information on school events, sports and activities that can be found on ISZL’s Parent Portal.
- ISZL Report Card and Student Information Portal: This portal (login required) allows all parents to enter electronic forms including the Health form, access their children's report cards, and High School parents to access their children's timetable.
- The ISZL Bulletin: The Bulletin is an email publication sent out twice a month that provides important information on all-school and cross-divisional upcoming events and announcements. This will also include divisional updates from the High, Middle and Primary School Principals with key information for parents.
- Website and Parent Portal: The ISZL website provides a wealth of information for parents, and the password-protected Parent Portal provides access to the calendar, policies, procedures, handbooks, and much more.
- Text Messages: Text messages may be used to contact parents in the event of an emergency. Be sure that you have entered your updated mobile number via the ISZL’s Parent Portal. Click here for instructions on how to update your contact information.
- Social Media: ISZL’s profiles on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn are updated regularly with school news.
Schoology and Parent Portal Workshops
A series of workshops intended primarily for new parents will be offered during the first weeks of the new academic year. The workshops will provide parents with an opportunity to learn more about the ISZL Schoology environment and the ISZL Parent Portal. Parents are welcome to attend a workshop at either campus.
- Friday 23 August, 9:00-11:00: Cafeteria, High School Campus
- Monday 26 August, 9:00-11:00 and 13:15-15:15: Stuebli (across from Reception), Zug Campus
If you are interested in attending, please register here. For questions, contact Director of Technology Chris Vincent: email@example.com
The school calendar showing events, sports fixtures and all other school dates can be found on the ISZL’s Parent Portal (login required). This is the primary calendar for ISZL and you are advised to check this regularly for the latest information concerning events involving your child.
** October Break Date Change: Please note that the last day of school before the holiday is Wednesday 16 October with lessons finishing at normal time on that day. School will begin again on Monday 28 October.**
Getting Involved as a Parent
ISZL Parents’ Association
The objective of the Parents' Association (PA) is to support the school’s spirit and community Whether you have been at the school for years or have just arrived, as a parent you are part of the PA. There are many ways to be involved in our Parents' Association:
- Attend meetings, conferences and special events sponsored by the PA
- Volunteer your time at PA events such as Halloween, Staff Appreciation Lunches or International Day
- Be nominated as a Class/Grade Level Representative and be the connecting link between your class/grade level and the PA
- Join the PA Executive Committee and become involved in the decision-making
We encourage you to use ISZL’s Parent Portal to access information about volunteer opportunities, updates and events.
We are currently accepting nominations for 2019-20 Parents’ Association Executive positions. If you have questions or are interested in serving in one of these positions, please contact Advancement Coordinator, Lorna Graham: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parent Advisory Council
The Parent Advisory Council is operated in all of the divisions of ISZL. The Council consists of parents from each grade level, working voluntarily towards the aim of improving the channels of communication between the parents and the school. The Council meets regularly throughout the school year and provides a forum for discussion between parents and the ISZL administration on matters of general interest within the divisions of the school. The meetings address questions from the parent community regarding policies, procedures and programmes, and consider suggestions for improving practices within the school divisions. If you are interested in joining, please contact:
- Primary School: Cherie Sherchan, email@example.com
- Middle School: Sian Parry-Sedgwick, firstname.lastname@example.org
- High School: Monique Vermue, email@example.com
Sports Booster Club
The ISZL Sports Booster Club is a non-profit, parent-led, volunteer organisation that supports our competitive sports teams. The Booster Club promotes sporting events, runs concession stands and raises funds for our athletes and teams. For further information, please visit the athletics section of our school website or contact our Athletics Director, Hans Engl: firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteering at School
There are many opportunities to contribute your time and talents at ISZL. Volunteers are the secret ingredient to making our community-based programme an outstanding success. Volunteer opportunities are posted on ISZL’s Parent Portal.
Please note that all faculty/staff members and volunteers working with children are subject to meeting our Child Protection requirements.
Back to School Information by School Division
For more information for your child's division, please refer to the following welcome messages: