Mission and Values
Respect | Motivate | Achieve
The International School of Zug and Luzern (ISZL) provides a high quality Early Years to Grade 12 international education to day students resident in the Cantons of central Switzerland. ISZL promotes a climate of respect, where outstanding teachers encourage students to develop self-confidence, positive relationships, and an enthusiastic approach to learning. ISZL is committed to excellence in education through a balanced academic programme. Students at ISZL share responsibility for their own learning in a caring and stimulating environment designed to promote achievement.
THE ISZL EXPERIENCE
ISZL is the foundation of a world-class learning community that offers an exceptional educational experience and builds a comfortable, engaging environment for students and their families. It is a stable and rooted, multicultural community that provides students and families a warm, inspiring and vibrant place to call home and one that encourages engagement and creates a strong sense of place.
WHAT WE DO
We educate children. Everything we do is tailored to make the learning experience exceptional for each student. ISZL connects students to the greater world around them – through the classroom and curriculum, through community and service programmes, through the international cultures representing our community, and through hands-on learning both in the classroom and around the globe.
We prepare students for university and a life after ISZL. We are dedicated to helping children reach their highest level of success as global citizens of the world. We offer a balanced educational programme (academic and pastoral) producing creative problem solvers, life-long learners, and engaged, rounded students while still emphasising subject proficiency and preparing students well for university.
As a world-class, professional organisation, ISZL has become a leading international school in a short period of time thanks to the Board of Trustees, Leadership Team, faculty, staff and community who are dynamic and adapt to change positively, yet rely on and develop best practices that have led to great student success. Each year, ISZL builds upon its accomplishments by improving its facilities, communications, community-building events and academic achievements (individually and collectively).
SCHOOL ETHOS AND CULTURE
At ISZL students are guided by an ethos of respect, care and spiritual well-being. This philosophy and culture embody a strong sense of pride in all we do and represent. It is a culture in which:
- the community is motivated to strive for the best, reach out, support and engage with our own and other communities;
- personal involvement is desired by all and high achievement is valued;
- international mindedness is promoted, all nationalities, races and religions are fully respected and people seek to understand and celebrate the differences of individuals; and
- individuals are valued and their full potential can be achieved through the holistic and high quality education to which they are exposed.
As a world leader in international education, our motivated students will have the skills, empathy, resilience and ambition to embrace the challenges and opportunities of a changing world.
In 2015, Board members, parents, administration and staff came together to discuss the vision and direction of the school to create a guiding document to define our 5 year institutional goals. Focus groups and facilitated meetings provided venues for discussions related to education and learning, students, staff, marketing and development, finance, leadership and governance, and facilities.
As you read through this plan, we hope that you will see evidence of our commitment to providing excellence here at ISZL – both now and in the future. An outstanding teaching staff, carefully planned curriculum and first-rate facilities will help us achieve our goals and foster international understanding in a friendly and caring atmosphere in the heart of central Switzerland.
- Teaching and Learning
- Learning Environment
- Finance and Risk Management
- ORGANISATION, LEADERSHIP AND GOVERNANCE
Students engage with innovative teaching and learning practices that empower them to become adaptable and motivated learners, able to make the most of all opportunities to achieve their personal goals.
- Develop a concept based, differentiated and holistic curriculum
- Continue to refine pedagogical practices for our students to engage effectively with our curriculum
- Ensure that the ISZL culture, guided by the Mission Statement and the Vision for Ethos and Culture remains at the heart of teaching and learning
- Employ, develop and retain outstanding teachers and support staff from diverse cultural backgrounds, who share the mission of ISZL
- Continue to develop differentiated assessment strategies that are meaningful, motivational and drive teaching and learning
ISZL is an exceptional learning village where every individual belongs and flourishes.
- Investment decisions will be informed by systematically investigating and understanding current research around teaching and learning resources
- By clear articulation and review of our needs, we ensure that the facilities enhance teaching and learning, and our community spirit
- Investments will be flexible, adaptive, financially responsible, sustainable and in alignment with our pedagogical approaches and student needs
- Develop the plans and provide resources to promote student and community wellbeing
- Ensure that health and safety practices and procedures are systematically researched, reviewed and implemented
Sustain a solid financial platform to support the school’s mission and continued development, achieve fiscal independence and be prepared to respond to a dynamic environment.
- Continue to strengthen the capital base of the school through operating reserves, financing, fundraising, endowments and other sources of funding
- Develop and monitor a comprehensive set of internal and external indicators of risk for informed decision making
- Create and allocate sufficient funds to meet the needs of planned facilities developments on the Zug Campus
Through strategic leadership further develop a dynamic, accountable and committed professional learning community that works to realise the school’s stated goals.
- Promote and maintain ISZL’s status as a leading provider of international education on a local and global platform
- Ensure ISZL Board members model best practice in international school governance and undertake regular governance training
- Develop strategies to recruit and retain outstanding staff
- Implement systems for ongoing development and appraisal for all employees at ISZL
- Develop tools to measure the successful implementation of the mission of ISZL
Ensure that the unique quality, vision and values of an ISZL education and experience are dynamically communicated and recognised.
- Identify and capitalise on opportunities to promote ISZL as a leader in education and the international school of choice in central Switzerland
- Utilise innovative channels to engage with existing and potential stakeholders and partners
- Build on existing relationships and identify new partners to support the school’s strategic ambitions
- Maintain and enhance the positive ISZL brand