Admission Guidelines and Policy
Serving our Community
The International School of Zug and Luzern (ISZL) serves the educational needs of the international communities of Zug, Luzern, Zurich and Central Switzerland.
ISZL welcomes applications from students who will benefit from a challenging, international English-language education, which prepares them for Higher Education.
Whilst our main intake of students is in August, admissions are accepted throughout the year, contingent on a place being available. Prospective students are assessed on their previous school academic record and their potential for growth at our school.
Priority Placement Policy
During periods when the capacity of the school is insufficient to accommodate all qualified students who seek enrolment, the school operates a priority placement protocol as follows:
- The student is a sibling of a current student.*
- The student is a returning student who was previously enrolled at ISZL within the last 3 years.*
- Corporate sponsorship of the student is covered by a Corporate Partnership Agreement (CPA)
(If you or your company are interested in finding out more about CPAs, please contact the Admissions office)
- The applicant is an international student not currently schooled in Central Switzerland
- All other applicants, based on educational alternatives and date of application
* This is subject to a complete set of application papers being submitted by 1st March of the proposed year of entry to ISZL.
It is the policy of ISZL to place a student into their age specific grade based on the age of the pupil on August 31 of the academic year in question. Minimum age requirements for the relevant grade entry are as follows:
|ISZL CLASS||USA||UK||AGE ON 31 AUGUST|
|Early Years 1||Nursery||Nursery||3 years old|
|Early Years 2||Pre-K||Reception||4 years old|
|Kindergarten||Kindergarten||Year 1||5 years old|
|Grade 1||Grade 1||Year 2||6 years old|
|Grade 2||Grade 2||Year 3||7 years old|
|Grade 3||Grade 3||Year 4||8 years old|
|Grade 4||Grade 4||Year 5||9 years old|
|Grade 5||Grade 5||Year 6||10 years old|
|Grade 6||Grade 6||Year 7||11 years old|
|Grade 7||Grade 7||Year 8||12 years old|
|Grade 8||Grade 8||Year 9||13 years old|
|Grade 9||Grade 9||Year 10||14 years old|
|Grade 10||Grade 10||Year 11||15 years old|
|Grade 11||Grade 11||Year 12||16 years old|
|Grade 12||Grade 12||Year 13||17 years old|
Students 19 years or older are not normally admitted to ISZL
At ISZL, all of our classes are conducted in English and for entry into Grade 8 and above there are English Language proficiency admission requirements.
- Grades 8 & 9: Students must be able to demonstrate at least intermediate proficiency in English
- Grade 10: Students must be able to demonstrate at least an advanced intermediate proficiency in English.
- Grades 11 & 12: Students must give evidence of near-native English proficiency
All new students applying to Grades 8 to 12, whose first language is not English, may be required to sit an English Language Assessment prior to their confirmation of acceptance at ISZL.
All ISZL campuses provide support for students with recognised mild to moderate learning support needs. The school provides up to four periods a week of support including in-class assistance or student withdrawal for individual or small group instruction(s).
New students applying to ISZL who have recognised learning support needs are required to submit relevant documentation at time of application, including copies of previous educational psychologist reports and other formal assessments, which need to be translated into English if applicable. Such applications are reviewed by the ISZL Learning Support Department and, if it is deemed that with the designated periods of support a student is unable to successfully access the curriculum, then admission to ISZL may be denied.